We aim to put children at the centre of everything we do
Save the Children South Africa is part of the world’s largest independent development and rights based organisation for children, represented in over 120 countries worldwide. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. In South Africa, we aim to work in all provinces to ensure that every child, especially the most vulnerable, has a happy and healthy childhood.
Our core values
Accountability | Ambition | Collaboration | Creativity | Integrity | Ubuntu | Passion | Learning
Our five programme areas
- Holistic Early Childhood Care and Development Programme: Giving young children under five a safe, stimulating and quality early living and learning environment.
- Health and Nutrition Programme: Ensuring that no child under the age of five dies from preventable disease, and all children in South Africa will grow healthily and have long-term good health.
- Education Programme: Improving education so every child in South Africa receives a quality basic education.
- Child Protection Programme: Working to make sure all children in South Africa thrive in a safe environment free from violence.
- Children’s Rights Governance Programme: Advocating so that all children will benefit from a strengthened child-rights system that advances and monitors the realisation of their rights.
But we can’t do it on our own. Do something amazing! Become involved. Your donations will change lives forever.
Some shocking South African statistics:
70% of children live in the poorest households
60% of children have no early childhood development
60% of child deaths are associated with malnutrition
50% of the children who start school never make it to grade 12
80% of children attempt to learn in poorly resourced classrooms
50,000 children are victims of violent crime each year
26,000 cases of sexual offences against children are reported every year
Save the Children. Save Tomorrow.
Children are the foundation of the future of the African continent. The future depends on the investments we make in our children, especially at an early age. Our purpose therefore is to reach more children, and reach them early in life. We are determined to shape a South Africa in which every child attains the right to education, survival, protection, development and participation.
We can’t achieve our vision alone. Become a donor and help us build the partnerships required to change lives forever.